Sunday 4 November 2012

Fruity Flapjacks, and some end-of-half-term ramblings

Big blogging ideas, coming to naught due to half-term and my inability to prioritise what I want to do, as opposed to what I ought to do!
Where do people find the time to blog anyway? I know, make time, stop wasting time & procrastinating, but, I do like my creativity to be tangiable, and blogging still feels pretty etheral and pointless to me
Anyway, this afternoon I made some flapjacks, following a request for a recipe from my eldest son (he cooks, therfore he asks how it's done, rather than demand the finished product from mum, I do love that about him :)
However, I don't follow a measured recipe for flapjacks, I tend to make them on the fly depending on what I've got lurking in the kitchen cupboards.
So, just for him, I've measured everything up, and made notes. I also took some  pics of the process for those who may read this and unlike him, can't visit my kitchen to watch it happen!

Fruity Flapjacks




Ingredients

250g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons honey
100g coconut palm sugar (or soft light brown/Demerara sugar)
150g dried fruit
75g sunflower seeds
25g pumpkin seeds
300g porridge oats
75g whole oats


Firstly, check that you have all the ingredients (weighed out and ready) & some greaseproof paper! 

Use the greaseproof paper/baking parchment to line a baking tray and put this to one side.

Put the butter, honey and sugar into a large deep pan and melt together gently, over a medium heat.


Put the butter, honey and sugar into a large deep pan and melt together gently, over a medium heat.

Stir it together with a wooden spoon, until all the sugar is dissolved and it's golden brown and bubbling. 

Remove from the heat and tip in all the "dry" ingredients, stir this together well until everything is evenly coated.








Carefully transfer the mixture into the prepared (lined!) baking tray, spread it out evenly and press it all down firmly with the back of a metal spoon.

Now simply pop it into the oven and bake for 15-20 mins, until it's an even golden colour.


Finally, and a very important point - leave it to cool for at least 45 mins to an hour before you attempt to cut it. Once cooled, it firms up and its easy to lift the whole thing out in order to cut it up into portions, try this before and you will end up with a big heap of crumbs, allbeit very tasty fruity & seedy crumbs, but still crumbs and not the flapjacks you wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment